Want to change your identity on Facebook? You can change your name perfectly and even add nickname or title with web version or mobile app. As long as you respect the rules of the social network.
Do you have a Facebook account, but the name you used when registering doesn't suit you anymore? Whatever the reason, you can perfectly change it, and even add other names or even a nickname - a diminutive or a birth name, for example. The operation is very simple, with the web version as with the mobile application. And rest assured, your profile will not be modified: you will keep your publications, your comments, your subscriptions and, of course, all your friends!
However, be careful, because this change must obey fairly strict rules. Thus, as often in computer science, not all characters are allowed, especially numbers and punctuation marks. Likewise, certain mentions or expressions, as well as those of an abusive nature or infringing the rights of other persons are prohibited. All the details are explained on a dedicated page by Facebook. In addition, do not do the manipulation in a rush: if you change your name on Facebook, you will not be able to change it for a period of 60 days, even for a simple typo! So think carefully before making the change and validating the entry ...
The procedure described here only applies to name changes for person accounts. It is totally different from changing that of a Facebook page.
How to change your name on Facebook?
If you want to change your name on the social network, for more discretion, for example, two small steps are enough.
With the web version
- Access your Facebook account with your usual web browser. In the banner at the top of the page, on the right, click on the small arrow pointing down or your profile picture, depending on the presentation.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, click Settings and privacy, And then Parameters.
- The Facebook settings page opens. By default, the General Account Settings section is displayed. If not, click General in the list on the left.
- In the middle part of the page, on the Name row, click Edit.
- The content of the section changes by displaying fields with the first and last names defined so far. Enter your new first and last name - you can even add a middle name if you want. Then click on the button Overview of change.
- A window is displayed showing the different possible combinations for the display of your identity. Choose the presentation that suits you, then type Your password in the right field - a safety measure to avoid a joke or spoofing. Click on Save Changes to validate.
Now, your new name will appear on your account, just like in your posts.
With the mobile app
- Launch the Facebook app on your mobile and identify yourself if you are not logged in by default.
- Press the three horizontal lines (at the top of the screen on Android, at the bottom of the screen on iOS), then on Settings and privacy and finally on Parameters.
- The Account Settings appear. Press on Personal informations.
- The Personal Information screen appears. Press on Your name.
- The content of the section changes by displaying fields with the first and last names defined so far. Enter your new first and last name, or even a middle name. Then click on the button Overview of change.
- The screen changes with the different possible combinations for displaying your identity. Choose the presentation that suits you, then type Your password in the appropriate field. Press on Save Changes to validate. The change is immediate.
How to add a nickname or other names on Facebook?
On Facebook, you can supplement your main name with a nickname or diminutive, which can help those close to you to identify you in the event of disambiguation, for example. It is also possible to use this option to add an artist name or display a birth name. Either way, this nickname is public and appears in parentheses next to your primary name.
With the web version
- To add a nickname, return to the General Account Settings section as described previously.
- On the Name line, click Edit.
- The content of the section changes. On the Other names line, click Add or change other names.
- Your Profile page is displayed. In the Other names section, click Add a nickname, a birth name ...
- A sub-heading appears, with various options. Click on the menu Name type and choose the category corresponding to your nickname from the list (Nickname, Maiden name, Alternate spelling, etc.).
- Enter your nickname in the Name field, then check the box Show at top of profile if you want this new name to always appear next to your name. Click on Save to validate.
- The addition is effective immediately and you return to the previous screen.
- If you are inspired, then you can add more names by repeating the process. But only one can be selected to appear next to your name.
- If you want to delete a nickname, click on the three small dots next to the nickname and choose Delete name the menu.
- Confirm your decision by clicking on To confirm when Facebook asks you to.
With the mobile app
- From the app's home screen, tap your profile picture, next to the What do you mean?
- Your profile and its information appear. Press the button with the three small dots, on the right of Add to story.
- The Profile Settings screen appears. Press on Modify my profile.
- Scroll to the bottom of the new screen. Press on Edit your information About.
- The screen changes by displaying a large number of items. In the Other names section, press Add another name.
- Another screen appears, with various options. Tap the drop-down menu Name type and choose the category corresponding to your new name or nickname from the list: Nickname, Maiden name, Alternate spelling, etc.
- Enter the name of your choice in the What is your…? Field. and press Show at top of profile to make it appear next to your primary name. Then press Save.
- You return to the previous screen. You can add as many nicknames or nicknames as you want. To delete one, press pencil icon at the end of the line. Press on Delete name in the menu that opens. Press on OK in the next menu to confirm.
How do I change my Facebook username?
Facebook also allows you to change your username, even if you haven't changed your first and last name. This is the name that appears in the URL (address) of your account. By default, it is of type htttp: //www.facebook.com/firstnamename, but you can transform it to adapt it to your own needs. Again, Facebook gives detailed explanations on a specific page. Please note that this procedure is only possible on a computer and not on a mobile.
- To change your username, return to the General Account Settings section as described above.
- On the Username line, click Edit.
- In the Username field, enter the name of your choice. Facebook performs a real-time check to make sure the URL is available. If this is the case, a green check mark appears to the right of the field with the mention Username is available. If not, try another name! Click on the button Save Changes to validate.
- This time again, a window will appear to verify your password, as a security measure. Enter your password in the appropriate field then click on the button Send to validate. The changes are saved.