Google is Safari's default search engine. Although effective, it does not only have advantages: Google search does not spare your confidentiality and disseminates your private information to advertisers. This tutorial explains how to properly configure Safari by changing the search engine to one of the 4 offered by Safari, but also for any other.
Change the search engine in Safari Preferences
- Open Safari And click on the button Safari at the top of the screen.
- Click on Preferences to open the browser settings menu (or you can also press the keys at the same time). Cmd +, (comma) .
- Click on the tab Search.
- Click on the drop-down menu Search.
- Select the search engine of your choice among the 4 offered.
Add a search engine to SafariBy default, Safari only offers 4 search engines: Google, Bing, Duckduckgo and Yahoo. If you want to use another default search site, you can, by going through a free extension like AnySearch.
- To install AnySearch, go to this page.
- Click on the button install Now (only works from Safari).
- In Safari, then click on the menu Safari> Preferences> Extensions tab.
- Click on AnySearch dans la colonne de gauche.
- In the drop-down menu Search Engine, enter the search engine of your choice.
- If your preferred search engine is not offered, you can choose the one of your choice. In the menu Search Engine, select the option Custom (Use text field below) .
- In the field Custom Search Engine, enter your search engine result page, replacing the search term with @@@, as in the picture. For example, for Qwant: www.qwant.com/q=@@@
After these steps, any search made in Safari's address bar will be redirected to the search engine of your choice.
Find other tutorials to help you configure Safari properly:
- How to customize Safari?
- How to deactivate the synchronization of its bookmarks on Safari Mac and iPhone?
- How to take Safari in Spanish?
- How to change the home page on Safari?
- How to sync your bookmarks on Safari Mac and iPhone?
- How do I update Safari?
- How do I set Safari as my default browser?
- How do I remove Yahoo from Safari?
- How do I remove Bing from Safari?
- How do I reset Safari?
- How to configure the automatic form filling in Safari?
- How to access the websites visited on my iPhone from Safari?